For farm tours, work trade or volunteer opportunities, email Malaika
BLUEBIRD FARM IS NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR SPRING! There is also potential to sublease a portion of the farm to get your own farm off the ground with access to tools, mentorship and support.
Farmer Job Description
Reports to: Malaika Bishop, farm owner
Job status: Full time hourly employee
Location: Sierra Friends Center campus at 13075 Woolman Lane Nevada City, CA 95955 and Jacobson Dude Ranch 11153 Cement Hill Rd. Nevada City CA 95959
About the Farm
Located in Nevada City, CA, Bluebird Farm specializes in high quality, nutrient dense, greens, culinary herbs, microgreens and fresh seasonal flowers. We are dedicated to using organic and sustainable growing methods to enhance the health of our land, build rich soil and provide the most delicious and beautiful food and flowers possible. Bluebird farm is in its first full growing season. We sell to restaurants, grocery stores, through veggie and flower shares, food hubs and direct to customer.
Summary of Position
The farmer joins a crew of other farmers that work with the farm owner to do everything needed to run the farm. Activities include, seeding, transplanting, weeding, irrigation, harvest, washing and packing produce, building, and driving deliveries. May include occasional farm education with youth and floral design. This position will work 7am (or 8am)-3pm (with potential for after hour deliveries) Monday-Friday through the end of October. If farmer excels, they may be offered permanent employment with the farm for the next growing season.
- Plants, cultivates, harvests, cleans, packs and delivers produce
- Maintains professional relationships with buyers for robust farm sales.
- Supports with maintenance and care of farm equipment, CCOF certification and record keeping.
Skills and Qualifications
- Farming experience a plus.
- A love for farming and physical labor with high motivation (background in sports a plus).
- Interest in farming as a career.
- Enthusiasm for successful cultivation of high-quality produce.
- Can work outside and adapt to variable weather conditions and has physical stamina.
- Can lift equipment and materials necessary to complete farm tasks and activities
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Floral design experience a plus
- Basic plumbing, carpentry, and small engine maintenance skills a plus
- Comfortable in demanding, high paced, fun work environment.
40 hours a week 3/15/2024 until 11/1/2024
Compensation: Employee is non-exempt. $15.50/hour
How to apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter:
Attn: Malaika Bishop
Application deadline: rolling until filled
Start date: 3/15/24